Friday 12 August 2016

DecoArt Under the Sea Challenge.

Welcome to all my new followers, hope you enjoy the journey.

Hi All,
DecoArt have got an interesting challenge on at the moment and I really thought it was something I might like to join in with but time and other stuff have continually got in the way but finally I've managed to finish this piece.

I have to warn you this is quite a photo heavy post but better than lots of written instruction, I'm sure you will agree. So off we go, sit back and enjoy the ride!


 
I had great fun making this piece using the following DecoArt products.
 
 
Their crackle paint gives the most fantastic effect and not only does it crack well but it adheres well too, brilliant!
 
 So here goes...
Stages in making.
 
Started with a Paper Mache boat from Hobbycrafts.
 
 
And covered the bottom section in scrunched up tissue paper.

 
A good coverage of Gesso all round and a coat of white crackle paint on the top of the boat.

 
These MDF sea creatures are from Calico Craft Parts, love them.

 
Then I applied some handmade shells which I had create with moulds and paper clay.

 
And so to the colour using the DecoArt acrylic paint.


 
You can see here that even with a coloured coat of acrylic the crackles still show.

 
More colour

 
including some dry brushing.

 
I added further colours to the sea creatures and finished them off with the the Interference colours and when dry added Liquid Glass, scrummy!

 
You can probably see here that I also added the crackle paint to some of the creatures too. I finished the shells off with the Interference paints which really makes them glow.



 
I added some small dewdrops to give the effect of bubbles rising which I think gives quite a nice effect.
 
The darker colour on the starfish is gilding wax.

 
This photograph shows the shine on the shells really well.

 
So that's it, just a look at the finished piece.

 
I applied a little darker dry brushing on the sails too giving some shadow and a more realistic effect to them.


 Hope you enjoyed watching me make this piece and happy crafting,
 
Angela x 
 
 
I would like to enter this project in the following challenges:
 
DecoArt Mixed Media Blog: Under The Sea Challenge.
 
 
Rhedd's Creative Spirit: August Challenge.
 The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog: Challenge 27 Travel.
More Mixed Media Challenge-Anything Goes.
 

23 comments:

Redanne said...

Angela this is an absolute delight from start to finish! How wonderful to use a boat and I just love all those beautiful sea creatures. This is a triumph!!! I love it! Wish I could have taken part but life has just got in the way.... Fingers crossed for you! Anne xxx

Juliz Design Post said...

Wow Angela, this is incredible. You can see all the love that has poured into this creation. The base part reminds me of Pirates of the Caribean with all the shells and I love the texture on your sea creatures.
Julie x

pam said...

This is a fantastic project Angela, love the boat and decoration sea creatures, fabulous distressing and colours.
Pam x

Brenda Brown said...

Oh wow, wow and wow again Angela. This is a magnificent project for our under the sea theme at DecoArt, I adore the finished boat and sea creatures and wonderful photo steps to show the process of how it came together. Thanks for sharing and joining in the challenge xxx

Rose Tresures said...

OHHHH my gosh, I L-O-V-E this piece of art soooo much!!! Beautiful!!! I hope it wins in the challenge, hugs, patty

Neet said...

Fantastic! I love the shape of the boat you had to work on and work on it you certainly did. Magical result!
Hugs, Neet xx

Cara said...

Superb! What a wonderful work of art, love it all, but those dew drops were inspired as bubbles! Cara x

Maryvonne Coussé said...

Stunning !
Thanks for joining us at More Mixed Media Challenges blog and good luck !
Maryvonne DT Member

Sandra Wright. said...

I can only echo everyone else's comments here..what an amazing project..and a stunning entry for our challenge over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit..x

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

This is stunning you have made a beautiful masterpiece - gorgeous - Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

Handcrafted by Ellapu
Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit

Sammy said...

Oh wow, this is an absolute stunner! Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month. Sammy-x

TangledBlueRose said...

Stunning! Love all the crackle and amazing treasure incorporated here, just wow!!
Thanks so much for sharing at Things to Alter!~kim

Shoshi said...

Oh wow, Angela, this is simply stunning... I absolutely adore anything with a sea theme, and this pushes all my buttons! It's scrummy. Fabulous soft muted colours and I love the shimmery finish of the interference paints. Quite wonderful.

Shoshi

Unknown said...

So so sooooo LOVELY and FUN Angela. It just all came together so BEAUTIFULLY. Thanks bunches for joining our DecoArt Media Under the Sea Challenge. joi

Tracy said...

Truly inspiring, loving your project Angela! Thank you so much for joining in with us, Tracy xoxox

lilian said...

Thats lovely Angela, nice tidy desk as well.

Happy WOYWDW Lilian B #16

Belinda Basson said...

ThNks for all the step out photos, I know how long that takes! Your idea to fill the open space at the bottom with tissue paper was genius.

Judy McKay said...

Stunning piece. Thank you for the tutorial. I must try something like it. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely outstanding Angela! You have my vote for the win!! xoxo

Karen Dunbrook said...

wow...just amazing!!! The details and the colours are unreal.
TFS,
Karen

SewPaperPaint said...

Angela, this is truly amazing! You certainly brought these chipboards to life. Lovely serene palette. <3

Katie said...

Fabulous poject and love the surreal colors. Thank you for plating along with Things to Alter

Lisa - papergrace said...

Love the tutorial and seeing how the whole thing transformed.It's really beautiful and unique. In order to be eligible for any of our prizes you must use our challenge graphic in your challenge post. Also, the maximum number of challenges that we allow combining is up to 4 to be eligible. Thank you so much for entering and playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog anyway. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blogs I follow

01 09 10